Social Sciences & Humanities
Chair: Pekka Räsänen
Pekka Räsänen is Professor of Economic Sociology at the University of Turku, Finland. He was appointed in 2009. Previously, he has been affiliated e.g. at the Helsinki Institute for Information Technology (HIIT) of the University of Helsinki, Center for Knowledge and Innovation Research (CKIR) of Helsinki School of Economics, and Sociology unit of the University of Turku. Professor Räsänen has studied a variety of consumption and lifestyle related phenomena from a multidisciplinary perspective for 20 years. He has published over 70 articles in international refereed journals and over 200 other publications. He has been Coimbra SSH representative of the University of Turku since 2017.
Vice Chair: Brigitte Burrichter
Brigitte Burrichter is Professor of French and Italian Literature at the University of Würzburg, Gemany since 2016. Previously, she has been affiliated at the University of Konstanz. Her main interests are in Medieval and Renaissance Studies but she works also on other periods. Her publications are about French and Italian authors of the Medieval and Renaissance periods an about contemporary French literature.
Focus of Working Group
The Coimbra Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH) Working Group (WG) aims to strengthen and promote the research possibilities of the member universities. WG will organize seminars and conferences on implications for multidisciplinary SSH research projects within Coimbra universities. New digitized data, current demographic and cultural trends in Europe, and increased research possibilities for the SSH will be in key focus. On the basis of seminars and conferences, WG is hoping to prepare successful research proposals for the Horizon 2020 and beyond, and find success in other appropriate international funding calls. Multidisciplinary requirements of the EU calls have previously been found problematic among SSH scholars. WG will pay attention to this issue by stressing a multidisciplinary research orientation and collaborative nature of the SSH. The WG will focus on the tasks and activities related to 1) research, 2) education and employability, and 3) outreach and visibility.
- Focus on getting to know better the interests and activities of the members of the WG and their institutions, beneficiary both for research and cooperation between the member universities.
- Sharing of a one-pager about Coimbra SSH WG for internal use by the member universities.
- Information collected on at the member universities on COVID19- related SSH research projects, aim at deepening collaboration on research funding and joint-publications.
- Interdisciplinary conference Machine Learning applications in the Social Sciences and the Humanities, October 17 to 18, 2019, Würzburg, Germany.
- An open interdisciplinary conference Wall, Laws and Migration – Past and Present to be held online May 27 to 29, 2021.
- Organizing future conferences in 2021/2022 on Digital Data and Machine Learning, as well as on the Changing Role of SSH and COVID19 Pandemic.
- Continuous work on funding proposals, in connection to meetings and conferences, as well as on increasing teacher mobility between Coimbra member universities.
- Preparation of high-quality publications/proceedings from the previous Coimbra SSH conferences.
Contact person at the CG Office: Anna Quici (email@example.com)