We are hiring!
18 December 2020
The Coimbra Group of Universities is looking for its new office assistant. In this position you will support and assist the Coimbra Group Office in its day-to-day running. The position is full-time and available immediately.
The Coimbra Group is an association – an asbl under Belgian law – formed by 41 long-established European comprehensive multidisciplinary universities of high international standard. The work carried out by its Brussels-based Office consists of supporting the association’s various bodies and member universities, implementing the communication strategy and monitoring European policy developments in higher education and research.
We are seeking to hire a reliable and well-organised assistant to provide global support to the Office in a wide variety of administrative and financial functions. This includes handling clerical tasks, managing databases, supporting the Office with legal and finance duties and organising logistical aspects of meetings and events.
- Daily sorting and referencing of postal/electronic mail, answering the telephone.
- Maintaining general office tidiness, office supplies, equipment and consumables.
- Updating and managing the contact database, calendar of activities, archives and basic web pages.
- Assisting in formatting reports, letters and other formal documents.
- Assisting at the annual round of scholarship programme applications.
- Improving and streamlining internal administrative tools and processes as necessary.
Legal and finance support
- Daily overseeing finances, including processing payments, invoices, expense claims.
- Financial follow-up of EU-funded projects (including management of time sheets).
- Supporting the preparation of the annual budget, of reports on accounting and monthly liaison with the accountant.
- Providing secretarial and administrative support to the Coimbra Group Administrative & Financial Committee, the Treasurer and the external auditors as required.
- Overseeing HR administration e.g. liaison for payroll, holidays and social security
- Supporting with the oversight of legal compliance, including basic legal obligations for asbl, process of renewal of the legal status, health & safety, data protection.
Meetings and events
- Logistical organisation of meetings and events in Brussels, elsewhere in Europe and on-line, including liaison with external suppliers and venues, booking of meeting rooms/accommodation.
- Organising the Office meeting room and arranging facilities and clean-up.
- Help scheduling meetings of the various bodies of the association.
- Supporting the Office staff with organizational tasks as necessary.
Profile and skills:
- Accounting and/or (Business) Administrative educational background (with a Bachelor’s degree) with a minimum of two years’ experience in a similar position.
- Excellent spoken and written English and French.
- IT-literacy with extensive experience of MS Office incl. in creating Excel tables, formatting Word documents, Powerpoint presentations…
- Excellent organizational skills and an eye for detail.
- Ability to multitask and to prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Willingness to take on new duties and learn new skills as necessary.
- A previous experience in accounting and/or EU financial project management would be an asset.
- Experience with the administrative/financial department of a university is an advantage.
- Full-time contract under Belgian law with a salary package in line with the experience and skills.
- Intercultural environment and small international team (4 persons).
- Though most of the work currently has to be performed from home due to the Covid-19 crisis, the position is based in Brussels.
- Workplace in central Brussels with easy transport connections (Metro Porte de Namur).
- The assistant reports to the office director.
How to apply:
A curriculum vitae and a letter of interest explaining your strengths and why you are applying to the position (both of them in English) are to be sent to Ms Emmanuelle Gardan, email@example.com
Applicants should have, at the time of application, the existing right to live and work in Belgium.
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Deadline: 8 January 2021
The Coimbra Group is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity.