3MT Final and Arenberg-Coimbra Group Prize for Erasmus students Award Ceremony
09 October 2020
Coimbra Group Three Minute Thesis (3MT) Final
2020 Arenberg-Coimbra Group Prize for Erasmus students Award Ceremony
Thursday 22 October 2020
10am – 11am CET
The Coimbra Group is delighted to invite you to the live final of the Coimbra Group Three Minute Thesis competition on 22 October at 10am (CET). Tune in on our YouTube channel to watch on live streaming the pitches of the three finalists of our annual flagship event on science communication followed by the announcement of the winner of this 4th edition.
This year, the event innovates with an interactive session on ERA4You in the presence of Ms Anna Panagopoulou, Acting Director for Research & Innovation Outreach at the Directorate General for Research & Innovation, European Commission. ERA4You is the European Commission’s future initiative for strengthening researchers’ mobility opportunities in the framework of the recently adopted “Communication on a new European Research Area for Research and Innovation”.
The event will conclude with the Award Ceremony for the 2020 Arenberg-Coimbra Group Prize for Erasmus students which acknowledges, every year since 2007, the crucial added value of Erasmus+ exchanges to students’ Master degree work.
- Welcome address by Ludovic Thilly, Chair of the Coimbra Group Executive Board
- The Coimbra Group 3MT Competition by Gunda Huskobla, Chair of the Coimbra Group Doctoral Studies Working Group
- Three-minute pitch by Vicente Artola Arita, PhD candidate in medicine at the University of Groningen: One size does not fit our hearts
- Three-minute pitch by Selina Bruns, PhD candidate in agricultural economics and rural development at the University of Göttingen: Sustainable Economic Development of Smallholder Farmers in the Larger Mekong Region
- Three-minute pitch by Maria Francesca Di Filippo, PhD candidate in biomimetic and material chemistry at the University of Bologna: Functional properties of chitosan films modified by snail mucus extract
- Researchers mobility in the newly launched European Commission Communication on a new European Research Area for Research and Innovation – Anna Panagopoulou, Acting Director for Research & Innovation Outreach at the Directorate General for Research & Innovation, European Commission
- Q & A
- Announcement of the 2020 Coimbra Group 3MT Winner and Runners-up – Ritta Pyykkö, Emerita Vice-Rector, University of Turku and Coimbra Group 3MT Jury Spokesperson
- Arenberg-Coimbra Group Prize for Erasmus Students: H.S.H Leopold Duke d’Arenberg bestowes award on Maddalena Centanni, University of Leiden
The Coimbra Group strongly values the importance of training young researchers on science communication. It is for this reason that, each year since 2017, under the auspices of the Doctoral Studies Working Group, it has invited PhD candidates from its member universities to participate in a network-wide competition based on the model developed by the University of Queensland, Australia. A total of 19 researchers have taken part in this fourth edition of our competition.
This year the three finalists are:
Vicente Artola Arita
University of Groningen
3MT presentation title:
One size does not fit our hearts
Watch our three finalists on October 22 as they rise to the challenge of summarising months’ worth of hard research work in only three minutes in a language free of technical jargon and accessible to a lay audience. A judging panel of five members from Coimbra Group universities will assess their performances on the basis of comprehension, content, engagement and communication.
After the interactive talk on the European Commission’s ERA4You initiative and the announcement of the winner of the 2020 Coimbra Group 3MT, we will celebrate the Award Ceremony for the 2020 Arenberg-Coimbra Group Prize for Erasmus students.
We are pleased to announce that this year’s award will go to Ms Maddalena Centanni, a graduate in Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences from Leiden University. Ms Centanni, who is now a PhD candidate both at Uppsala University and the University of Amsterdam, had spent her six-month Erasmus exchange at Uppsala University in 2017-2018, where she had the opportunity to work with and learn from leading scientists in her field as well as to access new material and methods. We are honoured to have the Arenberg Foundation President, H.S.H Duke Leopold d’Arenberg, joining us to bestow the award to Ms Maddalena Centanni.
Developed by the University of Queensland, the Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition consists of effectively explaining one’s research in three minutes, in a language appropriate to a non-specialist audience. Competitors are allowed one PowerPoint slide, but no other resources.
Read more about the Coimbra Group 3MT Competition here.
For further information about the 3MT competition.
The Arenberg-Coimbra Group Prize for Erasmus Students
The Arenberg-Coimbra Group Prize for Erasmus Students is awarded annually to a Master degree candidate of a Coimbra Group University, in any academic discipline, who, having previously undertaken an Erasmus exchange with another Coimbra Group University has, in the opinion of the selection committee, best demonstrated the added value of that exchange to their Master degree work. The prize awarded is of the value of €5,000.
Read more about the Arenberg-Coimbra Group Prize for Erasmus Students here.
More about the Arenberg Foundation.